29 June 2010

Lebanese Aubergine Moussaka

This is something I made last week. Have been out and flying for work, etc, so have only been able to get online now to post this.

I had a huge aubergine and no idea what to make with it this time around, as the other half isn't a fan. I've made eggplant parmesan for him before, and he loved it, but I wanted other options. Started Googling (as you do) can came up with an adapted Nigella Lawson recipe using eggplant: http://www.roamingtales.com/2009/03/08/recipe-lebanese-aubergine-stew/. I had seen a few variations of this, but liked this version, so I decided to follow it with my own twist.

I cubed the eggplant and fried it off in 3 batches (it was really big) in a bit of oil until softened and coloured, and removed from pan. Then I friend off onion, garlic, a bit of giner and chilli in some oil in the pan until onions and garlic we soft, then added chickpeas (from a can, with water drained), and fried it a bit more. I didn't have pomegranate molasses, but I did have some pomegranate cordial. Thought 'what the hell', and put a bit of that in. I then added the aubergine back, some tomato I had previously liquidised and frozen (easier to use that way, and cheaper), and some salt, black pepper, cinnamon, ground ginger, dried mint, and a dash of paprika. Added a cup of water, let it boil, then reduced the heat and let it simmer for the next hour or so while I got on with other things.

I did this the day before we planned to eat it, as it took a long time to get done. When it was done, I spooned it back into the bowl I'd stored the eggplant in, and into the fridge it went. The next day, I heated it up in the  oven (easier) for a while, and served with cous cous.

This made quite a lot; we got 2 days' dinners (huge portions) for 2 out of it. Well worth the effort, as it cuts down on cooking for another day :).

To make the cous cous:
Fry some onions, peppers, chilli, whatever you want in a little bit of oil. Add some mustard seeds too. When ready, pour in 1 cup of water, and bring to the boil. Turn off stove, and add in 1 cup of cous cous. Stir to incorporate and wait for it to absorb and become all fluffy. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment