12 September 2009

Chicken Wrap with The Salsa

 
This is one that does take a bit longer in the prep time (I did it all in 30 minutes), but it's well worth it. You can do what I did today, and make a little extra of The Salsa (it deserves the capital letters, trust me) so you can use it later in the week.
   
I'd bought some aubergine in the week. I sliced one up, and sprinkled with salt and put it on a baking sheet in the oven while I got on with the rest.
   
I then got on with the chicken. Sliced a chicken breast into strips. Hot pan, a little oil, a teaspoon each of the pre-crushed garlic and ginger, toss the chicken in with some dry spices, and stir and let it dry fry while I got on with the rest.
  
For The Salsa, the longest part of this meal to prepare, there is some slicing/chopping. I've decided to use cherry tomatoes instead of the big ones, ad they make more sense for one person. Chop up the tomatoes into cubes. Chop up some peppers, chilli peppers (which I love, and I left the seeds in this time as I wanted the heat), red onions. Zest a lemon (a few passes over the finer side of the greater is all that's needed; put the rest into a tub for future use), and squeeze a quarter of the lemon's juice into the bowl containing the remainder of the ingredients. A little balsamic would be ideal, but I didn't have any, so I just used half a teaspoon of brown vinegar. A little bit of salt and freshly ground black pepper, and leave it to rest. The flavours infuse beautifully after a while, and you're left with The Salsa, a flavour explosion that's well worth the little bit of extra effort that goes into it.
 
It looks really good, and tastes amazing. Trust me on this one. Everyone I know loves it when I prepare it. 
   
  
Assembling the wrap:
1. Warm up the tortilla. These can be bought in any store; my mum made these for me.
2. Two teaspoons of any tomato-ey mixture to line the wrap. I had recently gotten a piquant pepper spread on special, so I opened that up and used that.
3. A little bit of grated cheddar onto that (I've pre-grated a little and put it into an airtight container, to cut down on prep time).
4. Lay the aubergine slices down.
5. A few spoonfuls of low fat chunky cottage cheese follow that.
6. The cooked chicken strips are placed on top.
7. Then, it's time for The Salsa. Use as much as you like; there can never be too much. Also spoon some of the juice that comes out of the veggies on.
8. A sprinkling of cheddar cheese again.
9. Roll it up, and enjoy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment