12 September 2009

Dessert: Mini-flapjacks with various toppings

 
This is really quick and easy to do. I've been craving it all week, and decided to whip some up today. I used my standard pancake recipe, just slightly thicker; I'll share that recipe with you another day. For now, will just go through the toppings. 
   
In anti-clockwise direction, starting on the left - 
  
Pecan nuts: I'd bought some pecan nuts earlier today. I put one mini-flapjack down, topped with 2 pecan halves, topped with another flapjack and another 2 pecan halves. And idea for another time, when I have more time, is to chop the pecan nuts up and incorporate it into the dough. 
  
Chocolate: I made up a quick chocolate sauce with available ingredients. 1 piece dark chocolate, 1 piece Top Deck, 1/4 teaspoon butter and 1/2 teaspoon milk. This went into the microwave (much faster than a double boiler, if you're careful) for 15 seconds. A stir, and brief 5 second bursts with stirring until the chocolate was melted and combined and glossy. A flapjack with chocolate drizzled onto it, topped with another flapjack and a dollop of chocolate, made this masterpiece. 
  
Almond butter: While I bought this almond butter, it's really easy to make your own. I've made pecan butter before, so I imagine this is the same concept. Toss nuts of your choice into a blender and pulse until they're really fine and you have a rough butter texture. You may find a little oil helps it along. If you have no machine and a lot of patience, you could try grinding the nuts down in a pestle and mortar. I put some almond butter on one flapjack, topped it with another and a dollop of almond butter on that. 
  
Strawberries and strawberry syrup: I'd bought some strawberries on special easlier in the week. I sliced up 2 strawberries, and halved 2 starberries. I put these into a bowl with a teaspoon of fructose (you can just use any normal sugar) to draw the juices out. I did this before assembling the others, and did this one last. I arranged the sliced strawberries on one flapjack, topped it with another on which I arranged the rest of the sliced strawberries, and I drizzled the strawberry syrup that had formed onto this flapjack. 
  
Plain: It's always nice to have one as is :) 
  
Chocolate and strawberry: In the centre is one flapjack. I used the rest of the chocolate on that one, and topped it with the strawberry halves. 
  
The flapjacks were all completely delicious. It was the matter of 3 minutes to do the different toppings, and they looked good too. This is definitely one to remember when cooking for others; everything can be prepared ahead of time and assembled just before serving. It's quite light as well, so one person can easily consume those after a meal. Some vanilla ice cream or frozen yoghurt served with it would not go amiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment